Korea University Diversity Council Provision
March 1, 2019
Chapter 1 General Provisions
- Article 1 (Purpose) The purpose of this Provision is to regulate necessary matters concerning the organization and operation of the Korea University (hereinafter referred to as the “University”) Diversity Council (hereinafter referred to as the “Council”).
Article 2 (Definitions) As used in this Provision, the following terms shall have the meaning specified below:
- 1. The term “diversity” means social characteristics that occur due to the differences between gender, nationality, physical conditions, economic conditions, social conditions, beliefs, ideologies, values, behavioral patterns, religions, and cultures coexist.
2. The term “protection and promotion of diversity” means the following activities performed in the University for the purpose of building a creative learning environment and healthy university culture in which diversity is understood and respected.
- A. Activities which ensure equal opportunities for the various minority groups (those who are relatively minority among the groups defined by diversity. Hereinafter the same apply) which constitute University in the areas of education, appointment, promotion, welfare and so on.
- B. Activities which ensure to reflect the opinions of various minority groups impartially on university life and operation in general.
- Article 3 (Subject) All members of University that are subject to the Korea University Foundation Articles of Association, Korea University Academic Regulations, and all other regulations shall be subject to this provision.
Chapter 2 System and Function
- Article 4 (System) Council is a presidential advisory body that responds to the requests of the president about the protection and promotion of diversity in University and makes policy suggestions.
Article 5 (Function) Council shall serve the following functions in order to propose policies regarding education and organizational culture and systematically practice diversity-promoting activities.
- 1. Developing diversity indicators to assess the current state of diversity in University
- 2. Carrying out research to protect and promote diversity in University
- 3. Developing education programs to cultivate cultures respecting diversity in University
- 4. Making policy proposals to foster diversity in University
- 5. Reporting to the president on the activities of Council at least once a year
Chapter 3 (Organization)
Article 6 (Council)
- ① Council shall be comprised of not more than 15 members including the chair.
- ② The dean of Office of Planning & Budget, the dean of Office of Academic Affairs, the dean of Office of Student Affairs shall be ex-officio members, and the other council members shall be comprised of the personnel within and outside University who have knowledge and experience in promoting diversity, taking into account their gender, nationality, age, disability and other characteristics.
- ③ The term of office of ex-officio members shall be the term of the position held, and the term of office of other members shall be two years, serving consecutive terms allowed.
- ④ The term of office of a successor shall be the remaining period of the former member if there is a vacancy during the term of office of the appointed member.
- ⑤ Related regulations may be legislated or revised through the deliberative process of Council.
Article 7 (Appointment of Chair and Council Members)
- ① The chair shall be appointed by the president.
- ② The term of the chair shall be two years and consecutive terms may be served.
- ③ The chair shall be appointed among full-time faculty members. However, if special necessity is acknowledged, it may be appointed among those who are not full-time faculty members.
- ④ The chair’s treatment shall be equal to that of the Academic Affairs Committee member.
- ⑤ Council members shall be appointed by the president with the recommendation of the chair.
- ⑥ The term of office of a successor shall be the remaining period of the former member.
Chapter 4 (Duty)
Article 8 (Meeting)
- ① The chair shall convene the Council’s meeting, and shall be the president of the meeting.
② Meetings of Council shall be divided into an ordinary meeting and extraordinary meeting, and shall be held as follows.
- 1. Ordinary meeting: one or more in every quarter
- 2. Extraordinary meeting: when the chair acknowledges the need or there is a request from the majority of members.
- ③ Meeting of Council shall be held in the presence of a majority of members in office, and a resolution shall be adopted by the affirmative votes of a majority of the members present at the meeting.
Article 9 (Vice-Chair)
- ① Vice-chair(s) may be appointed if it is necessary for the operation of Council.
- ② The vice-chair shall assist the chairperson, and shall execute as an agent if the chairperson is unable to perform her or his duties due to unavoidable reasons.
- Article 10 (Sub-council) Council may have sub-councils for the main fields of its activities, if it is necessary for the efficient operation of Council.
Article 11 (Expert Coordinator)
- ① Council may have expert coordinators for the purpose of efficiently supporting the wo
- ② Expert coordinator shall be invited by the Council, and shall be appointed by the president with the recommendation from the chair.
Article 12 (Special Advisory Groups) Council may have the following special advisory groups in order to collect opinions on diversity in and outside University and promote University’s diversity-related activities.
- 1. Expert Advisory Group: comprised of not more than 5 members including journalist, entrepreneur, law officials, and foreign faculty members
- 2. Student Advisory Group: comprised of University students
Article 13 (Cooperation of University Organizations)
- ① Council may request cooperation to University organizations such as submission of materials if it is necessary for the execution of its work.
- ② University organization who receives such request must comply therewith.
- ③ If necessary, Council may recommend improvement to University organizations regarding protection and promotion of diversity.
- Article 14 (Detailed Regulation) Matters which are not regulated by this provision shall be deliberated and decided by Council.
(Date of Promulgation) This provision shall enter into force from Mar. 1, 2019.